Commissioner of Oaths

  • A Paralegal is entitled to be a Commissioner of Oaths in accordance with the Commissioners for taking Affidavits Act.
  • A Commissioner can administer you swearing or affirming that your statement is true.
  • Filling out an Affidavit has the same effect as swearing or affirming in a court of law.
  • Swearing an Oath is used with a Bible and Affirming an Oath is without a bible. You have the right to either swear or affirm your oath.
  • You should be familiar with the contents of what you are asking to be commissioned and be prepared to show photo identification prior to swearing the document. 
  • An affidavit or similar document can be prepared for an additional fee if you have not been provided with one. 
  • A Commissioner can not commission a document that specifically requests a Notary Public to administer the document. 

When do you need an Affidavit?

  • An Affidavit can be required in court for statements in Small Claims, Family or a Civil Suit. 
  • Transferring or gifting a vehicle between family members.
  • Birth Certificates where a change in status is requested. 
  • Applying for a municipal zoning variance or bylaw change.

Contact me to arrange an appointment to commission your documents.